Monday, October 27, 2008

What a Week!

We survived a four-day visit from the in-laws (let me know if you need any parenting advice, as I heard more than my share).

Audrey had one doctor appointment and I had three. I have to see an OB in addition to my midwives in order for any tests that I might want to be covered by insurance. Grrr.... The OB I was randomly assigned is this really young (REALLY young), nice, cute guy, so I feel a little bad that I'm just using him.... (I was going to put his picture here, but he's the one doc in the office without his picture online.) Audrey had her two-year check-up; "she's perfect!" the doc says. She never did come down with the dreaded Hand, Foot & Mouth disease. Cousin Phoenix is all better, but we're still going to wait awhile before going to visit them, in case any germs are lingering in their house.

I came down with a UTI, tried some natural remedies but things only got worse, so now am on antibiotics, which totally freaks me out in regard to Mr. Fetus, but I have been hearing from other moms who had to be on them while preggo and did not have mutant babies. Oh, and they make me feel ill (on top of the morning sickness), so that's fun. But, an untreated UTI can lead to mental retardation in the babe, so that's really not good.

Audrey's been doing some MAJOR teething and is bounding into some new "terrific twos" territory. ("My, she has a lot of opinions," said Grandma after babysitting her on Friday.) The other day at lunch, she sat in her chair and looked right at me while doing several things in a row that she knows drive me crazy: smeared soup all over herself, dumped out her water, threw a dish on the floor and tugged on her nipples. I think a lot of the "twos" stuff has to do with teething pain, and lack of sleep from teething, and having cabin fever from being stuck at home with me all day, almost every day.


Danny had his knee surgery on Friday, which ended up actually being on one of the easier situations of the week. They did the chop job this time instead of a repair, which means his knee is not delicate like before and he can use it right away. He didn't even need any of his pain medication, which bummed him out, since it was codeine that made him feel sooooo good after the one pill he did pop. (Spared me from having to hear a lot of babbling.) Most importantly, I told every nurse and anesthesiologist that came around in pre-op about just HOW PUKING SICK he was after his knee surgery three years ago (because NO WAY could I handle that right now), so they gave him an anti-nauseous patch behind his ear and looked up his medical record to give him totally different drugs in surgery this time. WOW! What a difference! I could tell as soon as he came out of surgery that he was way less dopey. No puking whatsoever, and by Saturday he was pretty much back to life as usual. He and Audrey played out in the yard a bunch yesterday, we took a walk to the coffee shop, etc. He still has a limp and has to be careful not to squat or twist for a few weeks, but otherwise, is doing great! We ended up doing disposables for only one day, because he's fine doing laundry, and Audrey HATED them. She kept trying to pull them off, saying, "It feels funny." And we missed seeing her cute big booty.


We just kept telling ourselves all week how easy life is going to seem in a few weeks when I'm feeling better and his knee is all better and (hopefully) Audrey's teeth are in.

Oh, and I have a bump! It probably doesn't look like anything to you, but it's a definite bump! This is more belly than I usually have!

1 comment:

heatherliv said...

Your bump is beautiful! Can't wait to see it grow...Glad to hear you all survived a week for the record books. Love you...hliv